- Year of Establishment of the Department : 1941
- Honours teaching started in the year 1976
|1||Dr. Ameeta Jaiswal||M.A, Ph.D||Ethics|
|2||Dr. Kumkum Rani||M. A, Ph.D||Religion|
|3||Ms. Jyoti Mala||M.A., NET||Religion|
|4||Dr. Keerti Chaudhary Jha||M. A, Ph.D, NET||Religion|
Highlights of the Department
- Two teachers of the department – Dr. Kumkum Rani and Dr. Keerti Chaudhary Jha are doing UGC sponsored minor research project.
- The Department conducts Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma Add-on Cources in Applied Yoga.
- The Department organized a National Seminar on Social, Ethical and Legal Issues Related to Euthanasia in January, 2012, the proceedings of which has already been published.
- Department activity like seminar, quiz, speech contest, poster competition is held on a monthly basis.
- Dr. Ameeta Jaiswal has recently submitted a minor project on "The Ethical Perspective of Euthanasia; the views of Medical Practitioners in Bihar", Which has been published by Lap Lambert Publishing House, Germany.
- The Department celebrated World Philosophy Day in November 2013 sponsored by ICPR, New Delhi.
- Philosophy is a student friendly subject especially because of its syllabus.
- It is a scoring subject for Civil Services Examinations.
- For the main exam of UPSC and the different States Public Service Commission there is one compulsory paper of 300 marks on Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude. Ethics is an important branch of Philosophy.
- Logical reasoning is also important part of Competitive Exams which is taught in Philosophy.
- Philosophy teaches values which is necessary for the upliftment of the society.
- Indian philosophy has its roots in the Vedas and the Upanishads by studying which the student will become acquainted with his culture.
- Contemporary Philosophy critically studies the social and political problems thereby providing the right direction to them.
- In all the IITs and NITs there is a Humanities Department. Philosophy is a subject to be studied there.
- In the IIMS there is a compulsory paper on Value Studies and Ethics.
- In B. Ed. and as well as in Teacher’s Training Classes Educational Philosophy is taught as an important paper.
- Philosophy is a good subject for Higher Studies and Research.
- Two teacher of the department Dr. Kumkum Rani and Dr. Keerti Chaudhary Jha were awarded minor research projects by the UGC in March 2015
- Teacher of the department regularly published articles in newspapers,journals,magazines.Some have even published books.
- Guest lectures on "Ethics and Values" or "Importance of Philosophy in Life "are also held in the department.
- Parent-Teacher meet is also regularly held in the department.
- Students of the department regularly engage themselves in CPE Research projects on important social and political issues.
- Students of the department are also rank holders in the university.